Guidance from Skilled Oklahoma Tax Attorneys
At the Travis W. Watkins Tax Resolution & Accounting Firm, we offer comprehensive representation for individuals dealing with tax issues and the IRS. With decades of experience, our Oklahoma tax attorneys can walk you through your options and create a solution that is tailored to your needs. We offer a wide array of services and have helped hundreds of clients from all walks of life.
Our clients have 24/7 access to an experienced staff who can answer all their questions at any time. We prioritize communication and work with you from the start to the finish of your case.
To get started, speak with the Travis W. Watkins Tax Resolution & Accounting Firm by dialing (405) 454-8373.
Criteria to Request Innocent Spouse Relief
In some instances, a person may have been unaware of the errors made by his or her spouse or former spouse during the filing of their joint tax returns. In a situation like this, the person left in the dark may be able to avoid the spouse's tax debt by filing for Innocent Spouse Relief.
There are certain criteria that must be met to request this relief, including:
- The return must have been filed jointly.
- The at-fault spouse either failed to report income or took an incorrect deduction, credit, or basis, which caused an understatement of the taxes owed.
- There was no transfer of property or assets from one spouse to another as part of a fraudulent scheme.
- As the innocent spouse, you did not know or had no reason to know that there was an error that caused an understatement of tax when you signed the return.
- It would be unfair to hold you responsible for the taxes owed (for example, the at-fault spouse deserted you).
Contact an Oklahoma Tax Attorney Today
Founding Attorney Travis Watkins has made a name for himself as a prominent figure in tax law. He has been interviewed on major news networks such as ABC, CNN, MSNBC, Fox Business, and more. In addition, he has written several books and hosts his own radio show on the topic of taxes and the IRS.
You can trust our knowledgeable representation and dedication to your case. Contact us today.