Can I handle my tax problem myself if I owe money to the Oklahoma Tax Commission and not to the Internal Revenue Service?

Technically the answer to your question is yes. You can represent yourself and handle your own tax problems if you owe money to the Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC) just as you can represent yourself if you owe money to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). However, just because you can do something does not mean that you should do it.

Think Twice Before Handling Your Own OTC Issue

There are two reasons why you would not handle your own case if you owe money to the IRS. Specifically, you would likely be concerned about the potential financial penalties you might incur and about the other consequences that could be imposed by the federal government.

You should be equally as concerned about those penalties and consequences if you owe money to the OTC. The OTC has the authority to impose significant penalties for taxes that are not paid in full and on time, and the OTC has the weight of the state government behind it.

The Time to Protect Your Future is Right Now

The decision that you make may have a profound impact on your future. You can minimize the risks by making sure that your rights are protected as you resolve your OTC issues. To that end, we encourage you to browse the FREE videos and articles on our website to learn more about your rights and we invite you to contact us directly if you need help resolving your Oklahoma state tax problems.