While the cost of living in Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Norman, and throughout the rest of the state is lower than the national average, it certainly does not mean that earning enough money to support oneself is an easy task. It can be even more difficult when you are trying to support a family. Unfortunately, many taxpayers each year face the problem of having the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) put a levy on their wages. The IRS can take this action when a taxpayer owes money to the IRS.
When a Wage Garnishment Is Causing Financial Hardship
When a wage garnishment causes a severe financial strain on a taxpayer, the IRS can, in some cases, release the levy and make other arrangements for repayment of the debt that is owed. In order to pursue this option, consider taking the following steps:
- Contact an experienced attorney as quickly as possible. Attempting to obtain relief from a wage garnishment is not an easy task. Seek guidance from an experienced professional to improve your chances for success.
- Contact the IRS using the telephone number on the levy.
- Outline your financial situation.
- Make it clear that the levy is causing an immediate economic hardship.
- Request a release of the levy.
- If granted, establish a payment plan with the IRS in order to pay off the balance.
We hope that this article provided you with valuable information and hope for relief from the financial strain of an IRS wage garnishment. Let us know how we are doing by sending us an email today!