I have Stage-4 cancer, and I am really sick. I don’t work anymore, and I need my assets to pay my bills. Do I still need to pay all of my overdue taxes?

We are sorry to hear of your illness. Generally, you still owe the government your overdue taxes. However, you may be able to reach a compromise with the government in which you’ll pay the amount of overdue taxes that you owe, but not the overdue tax penalties that have been assessed. 

This arrangement is known as a tax abatement, and it is not available to all taxpayers. Instead, it is reserved for special circumstances such as when someone’s spouse dies, they lose their job, or they are seriously ill, as in your circumstance.

Unfortunately, the IRS may need some convincing that you qualify for a tax abatement. They may believe that the only reason you have the assets and savings that you do is because you failed to pay your taxes in the first place.

You are going through a tough time now, and you do not need this stage of your life further complicated by tax problems. Instead, you need the IRS to understand why you qualify for an abatement the first time that you apply for such relief. Accordingly, we encourage you to contact an experienced Norman tax attorney today for a free consultation about your rights. We may be able to help you with your abatement and to help provide you with peace during this difficult time.

Please call us today at 800-721-7054, and please read our FREE book, The Ultimate Survival Guide for IRS Problems, to learn more about how to handle your tax problems.