I feel like I've been treated shabbily by my IRS revenue officer. Can't I get him in trouble by complaining to my local congressperson?

Well, you can certainly try, though your odds for success are minuscule. The fact is the IRS is a vast governmental bureaucracy that makes even the U.S. House of Representatives seem like the local Kiwanis club. There's nothing a single congressperson can do about an individual's tax problems. There's not even all that much a whole group of congresspeople can do, unless they muster up the majority needed to actually change the laws (and, say, outlaw the levies and liens imposed by the IRS on recalcitrant taxpayers).

There is, however, a slight possibility your congressperson has some “pull” with the local IRS office in your area. Perhaps she knows a high-level official personally, and can put in a good word on your behalf. In this case, however, she is unlikely to grant you this extraordinary favor unless she owes you a favor in return: if you were a major contributor to her reelection campaign, for instance, then she'll be more inclined to consider your request than if you were an anonymous constituent who walked into her office from off the street. And, even if she does whisper in the ear of that IRS functionary, there's no guarantee he will personally look into your case, much less discipline the revenue officer giving you trouble.

Buttonholing your local congressperson, or sending an angry email or phone call, can be a good strategy if you want to help affect national tax reform. When it comes to your own tax problems, you are better off spending your time hiring an experienced tax attorney who can quickly and expeditiously settle your problems with the IRS. Questions? Call the Oklahoma tax experts at Travis W. Watkins, PC to find out what we can do for you!