How can I request a first-time abatement waiver for IRS penalties? Should I contact an Oklahoma City tax lawyer?

You’ve never been in trouble with the IRS before. All of your past taxes were paid in full and on time. However, something went wrong this time, and you owe taxes for a single tax period. There may be a way to get relief for those who know how to ask for it.

In 2001, the IRS introduced the first-time abatement waiver for IRS penalties. An experienced Oklahoma City tax lawyer can help you determine if you are eligible for such relief, and, if you are, then your Oklahoma City tax attorney can help you request such relief. 

Generally, you can request a first-time abatement waiver for IRS penalties by telephone or in writing. Regardless of which method you and your tax lawyer use, it is important that you have all of the information necessary for the IRS to grant your waiver. For example, you may need proof that:

  • The tax qualifies for such relief. For example, personal income taxes may qualify, but gift and estate taxes may not be eligible for first-time abatement waivers.
  • You’ve complied in the past with IRS filing deadlines and payment deadlines.

Your Oklahoma tax lawyer will advise you of other information and documentation that you might need to qualify for the waiver. For more information, we encourage you to contact an experienced tax attorney in Oklahoma today. Our lawyers welcome your inquiry via this website or by phone at 800-721-7054, and we encourage you to read a FREE copy of our book, The Ultimate Survival Guide for IRS Problems, to learn more.