Want a Tax Penalty Abatement? Include Proper Supporting Information With Your Request

When facing a tax problem with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), all hope is not lost. There are many potential alternative solutions that may be available to you, if you know what questions to ask and which avenues to pursue. This is true even for penalties that may accrue due to unpaid taxes or unfiled returns. Fortunately, you do not have to figure out which solutions might work for you on your own. An experienced tax attorney can evaluate the facts and circumstances of your case to help you decide the best possible avenue to pursue.

Five Things to Include With a Tax Penalty Abatement Request Letter

One such potential solution is to request an abatement of the tax penalties assessed by submitting a request letter to the IRS. Your request may be granted if you can show reasonable cause. Along with this letter, it is vital that you include certain supporting documentation. Examples of this documentation include the following:

  1. A copy of the death notice of your family member, if applicable.
  2. A copy of a letter from your doctor stating the conditions of your illness that prevented you from filing your tax return or paying the taxes that you owed.
  3. A picture of your house that burned down in a fire.
  4. A copy of the insurance notice of theft that occurred on your private property, as well as associated documents such as a police report.
  5. Any other proof that you are able to enclose in order to prove your statement as to why you had reasonable cause to either fail to pay the tax debt owed or file the tax return.

Ready to learn more about obtaining an abatement for your tax penalties? We are here to help. We encourage you to reach out today by calling our toll free number at 800-721-7054.


Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment