On August 29, 2013, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and US Treasury released a ruling, saying that all same-sex couples who were legally married in places that allow same-sex marriages will be treated as married for federal tax purposes. While that ruling provided certainty for federal tax purposes, it did not apply to state taxes.

Oklahoma Tax Commission’s Tax Information for Oklahoma Same-Sex Couples

On September 27, 2013, the Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC) released a public notice with important tax information for Oklahoma same sex couples. According to the public notice, Oklahoma same-sex couples may not file a joint tax return because Oklahoma does not recognize same-sex marriages. Each partner must instead file a separate tax return, either has the head of a household or a single person. This means that Oklahoma same-sex couples who file a joint tax return with the IRS will have to recalculate their federal income tax liability as single or head of household for state tax purposes.

Call an Oklahoma Tax Lawyer if You Are in Trouble With the IRS or OTC

Any person, whether single or married, and whether homosexual or heterosexual, may have tax problems with the IRS or OTC. If you are having tax problems, then we encourage you to contact an experienced Oklahoma tax attorney today for an initial consultation about your rights and possible tax resolutions. You can reach us by calling 800-721-7054. We also encourage you to read a FREE copy of our book, The Ultimate Survival Guide for IRS Problems, to learn more about your rights.

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment