Regardless of the type of tax you owe to the state of Oklahoma, you are likely going to have to negotiate with the Oklahoma Tax Commission if you are unable to pay your full tax debt immediately and you want to avoid significant penalties. You may ask for different things and try to negotiate different settlements, depending on the type of tax that you owe and the amount of the alleged debt. However, there are some basic tips for negotiating with the OTC that may be useful in most situations.
Five Tips You Should Know
As you prepare for or begin your attempt to settle your Oklahoma state tax debt, it is important to:
- Be prepared. You should have documentation of your tax payment history, your current financial situation and anything else relevant to the argument(s) you are making.
- Be polite. There is nothing to be gained by antagonizing the OTC representative, even if you are frustrated.
- Know your rights. Educate yourself about your legal options, and know what you are fighting for before you begin negotiating with the Oklahoma Tax Commission.
- Be careful what you say. Anything that you say can be used against you in settlement talks.
- Know when you’re in too deep. There are times when it may be in your best interest to have an Oklahoma tax lawyer fight on your behalf.
Which of These Tips Is Most Important?
We think they are all important, but if we had to choose just one tip, we would go with tip #5. Have you ever negotiated with the OTC? What tips do you have from your experience? Please share them in the comments so that other Oklahomans may benefit from your experience.