Living abroad can have many benefits. Perhaps you’ve decided to live abroad to experience another culture, have the adventure of a lifetime, or further your career. Whatever your reasons, your primary reason for leaving Oklahoma to live in a country other than the United States was probably not to lower your federal tax bill. Yet, that could be an intended benefit in some cases.

The Foreign Income Tax Exclusion

The foreign income tax exclusion allows some Americans living abroad to exclude a sizeable portion of the income that they earn abroad from the income deemed taxable by the IRS. Generally, a US citizen who makes his or her tax home in a different country may qualify for this exclusion, only if the citizen is a bona fide resident of the foreign country for an uninterrupted tax year or if the citizen was physically present in the foreign country for 330 days of a 12-month, consecutive period.

Call a Tulsa Tax Lawyer for Help if the IRS Says You Owe Taxes

Just because the IRS says something, does not make it true. However, it does make a potential problem for you that you need to take seriously. If you have been living abroad and are slapped with an IRS tax bill, lien, or levy, then we encourage you to contact an experienced Tulsa tax attorney as soon as possible to discuss your rights. We welcome your call at 800-721-7054, and we encourage you to read our FREE book, The Ultimate Survival Guide for IRS Problems, to find out more about your rights.

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment