Tax Day 2013 is behind us. However, the issue of overdue taxes is not over on tax day. Last month, USA Today, released a list of famous athletes who have been in tax trouble before.
Who Are These Athletes?
According to USA Today, five of the athletes who have had tax problems include:
- Darryl Strawberry: This former baseball player was convicted of tax evasion in 1995 and faced a Missouri tax lien as recently as March 2013.
- Pete Rose: This former baseball player and manager served jail time for tax evasion in the early 1990s and allegedly owed the IRS tens of thousands of dollars in a separate incident about ten years later.
- O.J. Simpson: Mr. Simpson was a Pro Football Hall-of-Famer who may be as famous for his legal problems as he was for his football accomplishments. Mr. Simpson has been accused of various serious legal problems, including owing more than $1 million in taxes to the State of California. He faced a tax lien in 1999.
- Lawrence Taylor. Former New York Giant Lawrence Taylor is also a Pro Football Hall-of-Famer who faced tax problems. He allegedly failed to report about $48,000 worth of income and was sentenced to three months of house arrest in 1997.
- Freddie Mitchell. Mr. Mitchell is a former NFL football wide receiver. In March 2013, he pled guilty to conspiracy to file a false tax claim. He has not yet been sentenced.
Of course, famous athletes are not the only ones facing IRS and state government tax problems.
Call an Oklahoma City Tax Lawyer if You Need Help
If you owe back taxes, please contact an Oklahoma tax lawyer today at 800-721-7054, and please read our FREE book, The Ultimate Survival Guide for IRS Problems, to learn more about your rights.