Fast & Free Consultation With The BBB's A+
Top Tax Attorney In All 50 States - Oklahoma City, Tulsa And Beyond:


Here Are The Offenses For Which The IRS Can Put You In Jail

Posted by Travis Watkins | Feb 01, 2018 | 0 Comments

When an Oklahoma taxpayer receives a notice from the IRS that he owes $10,000 or $20,000 in back taxes, he may be tempted to crumple up the letter and say, “What are they going to do, put me in jail?” Well, yes, although you'll probably have to qualify as a habitual offender, and owe a bit more to the government, before the feds attempt to impose this drastic penalty. Make No Mistake: If Circumstances Warrant, the IRS Will Seek to Put You in Jail Just how flagrantly do you have to cheat on, or fail to file, your taxes before the IRS seeks to prosecute you for a white-collar crime? Here are some offenses which potentially could land you in prison:

  • Failing to file your taxes for years on end, especially if you earn a significant amount of money.
  • Not reporting lucrative sources of income (say, filing a return on $20,000 of declared income, but not reporting the other $500,000 you earned that year).
  • Making up dependents, or fraudulently claiming significant deductions on your tax return, especially if this saves you a significant amount of money.
  • Setting up a complicated and illegal scheme to avoid paying taxes (e.g., an offshore tax haven which goes against IRS rules).
  • Helping other people to evade paying taxes unlawfully, as well as not paying your own (e.g., if you're a crooked accountant or a tax guru).
  • Threatening or assaulting an IRS revenue officer (this wouldn't technically be a tax offense, but a felony such as attempted murder or assault and battery).

In Trouble With the IRS? Don't Let Things Spiral Out of Control If reading the above makes you break out in a cold sweat, don't worry—the IRS reserves the most severe penalties for taxpayers whose unpaid bills amount to hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. However, by the same token, you don't want to let a relatively minor offense escalate into something that lands you in a white-collar prison. Questions? Call the Oklahoma tax experts at Travis W. Watkins, PC (405) 703-5689 to find out how we can help you!

About the Author

Travis Watkins

Your IRS Weapon® He is the principal and senior tax attorney at Travis Watkins Tax Resolution and Accounting Firm ("Watkins Tax") with offices in Dallas, Oklahoma City and Tulsa, OK. His firm is unique, as it devotes 100% of its practice to fixing IRS problems for select clients and keeping t...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Start your journey out of debt. Contact us online or call (866) 817-0090 for a consultation. We have locations in Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Norman, and Dallas (appointment only).